Job title: Media, Journalism and Communications L*Genius
Contract duration: long term with trial period
Yearly salary: from 48.000,00 to 69.000 EUR (Gross II)
Working hours: full time
Based in: Europe or Central Asia
Work space: remote (all EL*C staff work remotely)
Deadline for application: May 15th 2022
The EL*C – EuroCentralAsian Lesbian* Community is a non-governmental organisation, representing the needs of lesbian, queer, bi and trans women and of lesbian organisations. Formally established in 2017 in Vienna, Austria the EL*C aims to advocate for lesbian rights in Europe and Central Asia. EL*C is a pan-European-Central Asian Lesbian Network, driven by the objective of (re)building the lesbian movement, as a response to the growing lack of the fundamental structures, tools and mechanisms to fight lesbophobia, sexism, misogyny, transphobia and all other types of discrimination experienced daily by lesbians.
The EL*C uses the word “lesbian” as a broad inclusive term, including lesbians who identify as trans, non-binary, as well as intersex lesbians, and bisexual or queer women.
EL*C & Media Activism
From the start, media and communication have been one of the main pillars of EL*C strategy. On the one hand, lesbians are still invisible in all domains and the word “lesbian” in itself has still a derogatory connotation. On the other, the EL*C employs media and communication technologies for social and political change, publishing news on our website, creating video and audio investigations, spreading information about protests, or organizing campaigns relating to media and communications policies, enhancing the creation of communities online over specific issues and social connections.
EL*C’s media strategy uses the coverage of traditional mass media outlets in order to gain significant traction in lesbian visibility struggles. Today, hundreds of articles and videos mention EL*C all over the world, including big national outlets like the Corriere della Sera, the National Geographic, Vice, Kyivpost, Euronews, Rusnext, Le Monde, Bild, El Pais, Fox News, The Washington Post, and many more. For more information, check out EL*C online Press Review: https://europeanlesbianconference.org/elc-in-the-media-press-review/.
The Media, Communications and Outreach L*Genius is responsible for enabling effective and efficient external and internal communications and for providing editorial, strategic, creative and operational support across the organization. This position plays a key role in ensuring that EL*C’s communications are both informative and influential for the full range of stakeholders. The main goals of this position are: communicating how amazing lesbians in general and EL*C in particular, are; increasing EL*C reach and membership.
In addition, this position is also in charge of media and press relations, as well as for maintaining social media accounts, and other online platforms of communication. This position will have a crucial role in developing and strengthening visibility for EL*C and in contributing to the overall success of the organization, particularly in relation to communication and dissemination of EL*C activities and projects.
Who are we looking for?
MEDIA skills: What we are looking for is a lesbian genius aware of the media landscape in Europe and Central Asia (at least certain parts of it), with a strong network of journalists, and able to get media pieces on EL*C published and broadcasted as often as possible. We want you to be able to feel the international news and understand how to infiltrate some lesbian contents throughout it.
Regarding ACTIVISM: If the current news is not enough, we want you to be able to create the news and conceive lesbian political actions bound to make the headlines.
On SOCIAL MEDIA: We need an expert with a strong presence on social media so as to promote our actions, reports and events, someone able to interact with journalists and media accounts.
Main duties and responsibilities:
To improve EL*C visibility: in close cooperation with the Executive Co-Directors supports development of external and internal communication policies and procedures; establishes internal and external relations;
To develop and implement visibility/media strategy and action plan; maintains social media accounts, maintains and improves EL*C’s website, develops innovative and diversified communication platforms in relations to stakeholders (newsletters, forums, mobile applications etc.), develops and manages media database, maintains good relationships with media representatives;
To develop, manage, update and write rich and creative content for different media and visibility platforms; performs press clippings, media monitoring, and media analysis on a regular basis, represents EL*C on local, regional, European and international levels, in close cooperation with the Executive Co-Directors;
Other duties and responsibilities:
– Assist all staff members in their day-to-day activities in areas concerning communication, public events and advocacy.
– Assist in all activities related to publications and their distribution;
– Assist in preparations of the EL*C Annual General Assembly and Conferences in relation to communication and publicity activities;
– Assist in all strategic planning sessions, staff meetings, and other relevant meetings;
– Assist, when necessary the Board members in their regular work in relation to communications activities;
– Assist member organizations in their communication capacity building processes;
– Represent EL*C as spokesperson when needed, represent EL*C and its activities on local, national, regional, European and international levels;
– Assist in capacity building programs relating to communications;
– Track, evaluate and report on social media interactions on a regular basis;
– Eventually, to solve some Dyke Dramas 😉 and smoothly communicate internally and externally about it..
The person will be part of a team of 6 persons. They will liaise with a network of very diverse national and international NGOs (more than 50 organizations) in Europe and Central Asia.
Contract/Working Hours: The successful applicant will receive a full-time long term with trial period to work full time (32 to 40 hours a week depending on national labor laws) over 4 or 5 days (depending on national labor laws).
Special conditions: Available to work irregular hours (i.e: occasional weekend meetings, occasional meetings in the evening, etc.), time off “in lieu” is provided. Availability to travel frequently.
Remuneration Package: The person will be employed under their national residency law. The Gross II salary (CTC – cost to company) applicable to this position is from 48.000,00 to 69.000 EUR (Gross II) per year.
HOW TO APPLY?
The application is composed of 4 parts, all the parts need to be filled and make a coherent plan together. Please send us (to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org) the 4 following documents:
1. Your CV;
2. A cover letter (no more than 1 page) which outlines why you would be a good fit for the position and for EL*C.
3. A short example of your work (an article, a blog/podcast, a book, or press release you are the author of; articles or media piece you contributed to get published; or big actions in activism you contributed to and were published in the media etc.);
4. The third part of the application is a sort of exercise to discover your creativity, political analysis and ideas on EL*C future communication and media strategy. Please download this attached document and fill it out with all your ideas.
Deadline for applications May 15th at 11pm CEST.